Massage can be very helpful to people with depression as it can help one get relaxed. Massage helps to relax both body and mind. The body’s response to stress is lowered, and it also helps to stabilize the moods. At Matrix Massage Spa, we provide massage services that are both friendly and professional which will leave you relaxed and asking for more.
What is Depression?
Depression is a state of deep thoughts and sadness that takes a long time before one gets back to their normal moods. People react differently to depression depending on their level of stress or illness. Some of the signs of depression include:
- Loss of interest in people and activities: In this state, the individual tends to spend time alone. They isolate themselves from their friends and any activities they take.
- Increase or loss of appetite: One tends to eat more than the usual as they try to engage their mind away from the thoughts which make them eat more than usual. Others tend to miss meals as their appetite is lost.
- Headaches: Due to the engagement of deep thoughts, there tends to be a headache
- Insomnia: This is a state of sleeplessness. As one is subjected to stress sleeping becomes a challenge although some people tend to oversleep as they try to forget their problems.
- Low concentration level: Depressed persons are absent minded, and they rarely understand what is going on around them.
- Suicidal thoughts and attempts: Stress makes one view their life as meaningless. They feel troubled and the only solution they could come up with to get out of the problems they are experiencing is by committing suicide.
Above are some of the symptoms of a depressed person which can be managed. It is advisable that if any of them persists, one should seek professional assistance.
Benefits of Massage for Those with Depression & Anxiety
- Massage helps increase circulation and awareness by relaxing one’s mind and joints. A relaxed mind will attract positive attitude. With the attitude, depressed individuals will start engaging in activities. This is of great help to them as their minds circulation is improved which helps to reduce depression.
- During a massage, a person’s mood changes for the better as massage lowers the body’s response to stress. Cortisol, which is the hormone that awakens stress, is reduced by the massage up to 50%. This is helpful for depressed persons as they are constantly in stress. Facial massage reduces psychological stress by activating the sympathetic nervous system.
- Massage helps to reduce chronic pains for those with headaches and backaches which are symptoms of depression. This is achieved by relaxing the mind, muscles, and improving blood circulation in all the body parts. It also stimulates the production of endorphins, which help in reducing pain, makes one feel pleasant, and enlightens one’s moods.
- Massage can help one fall asleep. In the case of depression, insomnia is experienced. This problem can be solved through massage as it is soothing and helps one’s body to relax which releases melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep.
- Massage improves self-esteem, and this could be helpful to those people whose depression stems from that. Some people tend to feel inferior to others and that they are not good like the rest. This subjects them to depression and stress. A professional massage by a therapist can help them overcome the problem.
Feel Better with a Massage from Matrix Massage Spa
At Matrix Massage Spa, we offer numerous forms of massage, and other services including facial treatments, salt body scrubs, spa packages, and our tranquil meditation cave experience. Please contact us at 801-799-4999, schedule your appointment online, or visit us at 533 South 700 East in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Trackback from your site.