What is a Hot Stone Massage?
During a hot stone massage, Your Matrix massage specialist will use heated stones as an extension of their hands. Stones of different sizes are heated to the perfect temperature for maximum benefits. Smooth stones are used to massage your body, while stationary stones relax muscle groups.
Hot Stone Massage Benefits:
The water-heated basalt stones allowed for greater relaxation of the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Your experienced massage professional can manipulate your muscles with more intensity and more comfort than with a traditional massage. This combination of heat and massage has proven benefits.
- The Heat from the stone penetrates deeply into stressed muscles, relaxing the area and decreasing pain. Massage therapy has become an accepted form of alternative medicine. Many people are using hot stone massage as a complementary treatment for chronic pain disorders such as fibromyalgia, arthritis, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- A hot stone massage will relax stressed and overworked muscles that can make you feel tired. Tight muscles can become painful, and this pain can trigger additional health problems. Relaxing the muscles gives them an opportunity to heal.
- As the hot stones relax your muscles, they will also improve circulation to the area. The heat will open the blood vessels allowing your circulatory system to function efficiently. Improving your circulation can reduce muscle fatigue.
Reduces Anxiety and Depression
- Hot stone massage has been shown to decrease the severity of anxiety and depression. While massage is not a substitute for traditional medical care, it can be a valuable addition to your current treatment plan.
- A tension in the muscles can decrease the flexibility of the joints. Relaxing the muscles surrounding your joints can make movement easier and more comfortable. Many people with joint disorders find hot stone massage particularly helpful.
Improves Muscle Spasms
- Tense muscles can spasm and become painful. Some people find that muscle spasms can interfere with daily function. Hot stone therapy can ease muscle spasms, and decrease the pain they cause.
Where are the Hot Stones Placed?
There are different sized stones for different areas to be treated. Typically, stones are first placed along the muscles of your spine. Your Matrix Massage specialist will be able to treat many areas.
- The neck
- Chest and abdomen
- Fingers and toes
Hot Stone Massage Techniques
The effects of the massage are more relaxing with the inclusion of heated stones. Your professional massage therapist uses specialized techniques to further enhance the benefits of the hot stones.
- Long strokes – to relax
- Circular movements – to soothe
- Vibration – to release tension
- Tapping – to release trigger points
- Kneading – to enhance circulation
Cold stones may be added to your session. Many people find the cold stones to be invigorating. Cold stone therapy will reduce pain, inflammation and boost energy.
Receive a Hot Stone Massage from SLC Massage Therapists at Matrix Spa & Massage
When performed correctly, hot stone massage reduces pain, promotes healing, and reduces stress. It is important that your massage therapist is professionally trained. At Matrix Spa & Massage your satisfaction is guaranteed. Contact us at 801-799-4999 to schedule your next hot stone massage at our Salt Lake City, Utah location today.