Request an Appointment!
So, you’ve never experienced a massage before, huh? You’ve missed out on a great experience. There are several things that will help you loosen up and learn a bit more before getting started. Let us answer some of the questions you might have to help put your mind at ease before the bodywork begins.
What Should I Do Before My Massage Appointment?
- Wear comfortable clothing. Although, there is no dress code for a massage, we recommend attire that’s easy for you to slip back into once the massage is complete.
- When you call to book your appointment, specify if you prefer a male or female therapist so we can accommodate you.
- TURN OFF your phone. Silence is key to a relaxing massage environment.
- Hit the Loo. Prior restroom use is highly recommended, especially if you have a long massage scheduled.
- If you have a serious medical condition, such as cancer or heart disease or are pregnant, check with your doctor for approval. If you have a sunburn or are sick, reschedule your massage. Check the General Council for Massage Therapies (GCMT) for a complete list of contraindications.
What Do I Do When I Get There?
Your first step is to check in with the receptionist. It’s best to arrive 5 minutes early. This allows you time to fill out your health questionnaire. Filling out paperwork shouldn’t cut into your massage time. It’s brief and only takes 1-2 minutes to complete. Once you’re checked in and ready to start, our receptionist will introduce you to your therapist.
What About Privacy?
Your massage therapist will lead you to your massage room. Privacy is given for disrobing, and you will be properly covered with a sheet on the massage table for the duration of your massage. Your therapist will knock on the door before entering to begin your massage. Your modesty will be respected and only the area being massaged will be uncovered. After the massage is finished, you will again be given privacy to dress.
What Type of Massage Should I Get?
Swedish massage is the most common type of massage and highly recommended to first-timers. Consider How much time you have to determine the best massage for you. We have 30, 60, and 90-minute massage sessions, and offer many types of massage. If you’re nervous about your first massage bring a spouse, friend or family member to share the experience with you in a couple’s massage.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Massage
- Communication – You can relax and don’t have to talk if you’d prefer that. However, please speak up if the pressure is too much or too little or if you’d like a little extra time spent in a certain spot. It’s NOT rude to tell your therapist when they hit a tender spot. This will help ensure your happiness with the massage. Tell your massage therapist you are apprehensive or if you have any concerns
- RELAX – This may be easier said than done for some folks. We recommend keeping your eyes closed, but it’s not required. Focus on your breathing by taking big breaths in and out. Envision something positive or focus on how the massage feels and remind yourself how good massage is for you.
- Food – Don’t eat just before your session, but also don’t come hungry.
- Clothing – Only undress to your comfort level.
- Music – Music is played during the massage session. If you find this distracting, let your massage therapist know your music preferences or if you would prefer silence instead.
- Aftercare – Avoid feeling lightheaded by refraining from getting up too quickly afterward. Drink water and follow the next steps.
What to Do After the Massage
Take time to relax and enjoy how your body feels. Don’t rush out! We have packages that include steam room, sauna, and time in our one-of-a-kind meditation cave. Then, the relaxation won’t end when your massage does. If you have a package with an additional service, you will be given a bathrobe and escorted to each area by your massage therapist.
You will be asked to pay for your massage on the way out. Tipping your therapist 15% is customary.
Massage has many benefits you shouldn’t miss! Schedule your first massage at Matrix Spa and Massage today!